Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jeremy Lipking Workshop II





I made it back home after after attending a fantastic workshop with Jeremy Lipking at his new studio in Agoura Hills, CA.  It was such a great experience to watch him paint and to learn  a little bit about his thought process and techniques!  I had so much fun meeting the other artist in attendance as well and the group formed a nice bond by the end of the 3rd day - The time went by so fast it would have been nice to last a few more days...  Jeremy was so helpful and patient with everyone making some excellent critiques to our paintings - I think we all walk away knowing that our paintings will improve in some way.  Emphasis was on positioning the model and lighting with how important the composition is to make a good painting, Drawing accuracy with sight measuring techniques, with the importance of taking your time and getting it right.  Both of the first two steps may take hours but it's this critical foundation that is most important.  Mixing proper skin tones and placement of color and paying particular close attention to values and so much more was presented...  I was not focused on the quality of my painting but rather watching and listening to Jeremy working his demonstration.  My painting was purely experimenting with the techniques described.  The first 3 photos above are of Jeremy and other artists, some of his work hanging on the wall, and of his demonstration.  The last 2 photos is the model standing next to my unfinished painting of her, and the last photo was my last day painting of another model.  I'm so charged up after this experience I can wait to get painting in my studio - Today!  I have a lot more photos which I'll throw some more in during my next post.

3 comments:

Fred Bell Paintings said...

Your workshop with Jeremy Lipking sounds really great. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it. How much did it cost? How long did it last?

Kevin said...

Hi Fred, The workshop was for three days and he has another one starting tomorrow - Those are the only two indicated on his website for now... However he does run an ongoing 8 week, one night a week painting class from 7-10pm. You can find out more detail on his website - Feel free to email me for more information regarding the experience. I'm at www.kevin@kevinfineart.com - Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

UnknownJuly 5, 2018 at 8:35 PM
Did he start with initial drawing?
Did he use medium? If you have photographs of initial stages of painting, kindly share. Thanking you in anticipation.Abhijeet